Re: dpkg hiding packages?

On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 12:03:47PM -0500, Bill wrote:
> i've got a sad situation i don't understand: dpkg -l don't seems to be
> hiding some packages from my view.  this is disturbing since I use
> dpkg as my information source on what software I can easily install on
> my systems

'dpkg -l', in effect, searches the status file (/var/lib/dpkg/status).
If you use apt all the time rather than using dselect regularly, the
status file may only include installed packages. I generally use
dselect, for instance, so 'dpkg -l' always works well for me.

I recommend installing the grep-dctrl package and using 'grep-available'
to search for packages. It's a much more flexible and useful tool than
'dpkg -l' for pretty much all purposes.