Re: How to handle whitespace in filenames ???

On 19 Dec 2001 22:23:26 -0500
Matt <myanchys@is2.dal.ca> wrote:

> This isn't a gui vs. console flame war.  Many of us, myself included,
> use the console quite a bit -- tex over wysiwyg for most written texts,
> if you ask me.  Lilypond over Finale for musical scores...

Well here you are clearly wrong. I have shown that it is inconsequent
to expect a space in a filename to work without quoting. This is as
true for Linux as for Windows as for any other environment. Tab
completition is a weak argument, because the problem starts with
multiple expansion, when you have to double or triple the
quotes/escapes, Do you really think that anybody would use spaces or
control characters in filenames if he/she actually would have to quote
it frequently? So this _is_ about typing or clicking commands.

> ..but to dismiss Gnome, StarOffice &c as the "idiot's tools for Unix" is
> ridiculous, dated and immature.  We all need a healthy dose of both,
> whitespace or not.

Maybe you need them, I don't. Gnome started out nicely, but is now a
breaking bloated monster. And StarOffice seems to pretend to be MS
Office on Linux, but fails badly to do so if I consider the reaction
of Windows users using it on Linux or on Windows. (I have a very big
number of experiences in this point: I manage a chain of cybercafés
where people can `choose' Windows or Linux. There are some 500
sessions per net and day. I also have a company with 100+ windows
-computers, which tried to replace MS Office by Staroffice, but had to
revert that for resistance from users). Both break OS consistency and
their own proposal.

And well, Matt, some time ago, a neighbour told me that she thinks
everybody should have therapeutic sessions on a regular base. I don't
know where you are, but it seems that you are able to make psychiatric
diagnostics from more than 10,000 miles away. I guess, I'll start my
sessions with you, as obviously, you are an expert. Expect some
private mail.

--
Christoph Simon
ciccio@kiosknet.com.br