Re: Best way to mirror two drives

hi ya lance

mirroring and backup is not quite the same ...

am gonna assume that you wanna backup your first 30Gb system... onto
your new 2nd 30Gb disks

- best way is to: ( varies from person to person )
	- put the 2nd 30GB onto a different server
	to protect your data/disk against power surges

- for backups of data itself
	- do daily incremental backups from the last full backup
	- do weekly 30-day incremental backups from the last full backup
	- do weekly or monthly full backups

	- only backup "user data/config" say in /home and /etc ...
	dont bother backing up system files that is already on your cdrom

- backups can be done with tar, rsync, cp, mirror, etc..etc....

- backups must be tested ... tested [ir]regularly ...
	- simulate the disk failure...
	( dont wait till a real failure occurs )
	unplug it.... now panic and restore it

  try to restore your data onto a different test disk and see if you
  can recover your data till yesterday ( your last backup )

have fun
alvin
http://www.Linux-Backup.net ... free backup scripts ..

dd is good for copying/mirror a disk ... but could be slow for 30Gb...

tar and find is good and fast for incremental backups and full backups

cpio... not amongst my fav ways of doing stuff

mounting the backup disks or not... and ssh'ing or not is up to your level
of comfort/paranoia