Re: Best way to mirror two drives

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 11:59:05AM -0600, Lance Hoffmeyer wrote:

> I just purchased a second 30G drive that I want to use as part of my backup
> strategy.  I now have two 30G drives in
> my computer.  I don't have a RAID card.  I have /dev/hda and /dev/hdb.  What is
> the best way to mirror /dev/hda?
> I have thought of
>
> dd
> cp
> rsync
>
> but am not sure which method would be most efficient.  Are there other methods
> I am leaving out?

   Hello Lance!

   Don't know which is the most efficient way but, you've missed tar:

         tar cp src_dir | tar xpf - -C /path/to/dest

   which will reproduce the directory hierarchy of src_dir under
/path/to/dest

   You can also investigate the functionality of cpio, dump and pax.
Unfortunately I'm not experienced with these.  You can try

         apt-cache show name

   to get a full description of a package and you can also try

         apt-cache search backup

   to get a list of (hopefully) relevant packages.

HTH,

--
Serafim Zanikolas                                       Proud of running
http://www.it.teithe.gr/~serzan                         Debian GNU/Linux