Re: OT: mysql vs. postgresql

<quote who="martin f krafft">
> hi,
> *PLEASE DON'T MAKE THIS INTO A FLAME WAR*
> if you are taking anything personal, please don't reply...
>
> i have always used postgresql for everything. i don't really know
> why, but i know that it's a pretty scalable, high-performance
> database
> server that is secure and powerful.

i have always used mysql for everything. i have never had
anything against postgres i just haven't used it and am not
famillar with it. ive only started to get more famillar with
mysql in the past 6 months. ive worked with more apps that
use it and learned how to tune it more and secure it better.
if new projects come up i would choose mysql over postgres
for the sole reason that i know it better. now if
it turned out that mysql wasn't up for the task then
i would try out postgres, but mysql would be first pick.

maybe someday i'll manage to learn postgres, but sofar
nothing i or my company does requires things that postgres
has that mysql doesn't offer. i'd really like to learn
postgres sometime, just theres a lot of other things to
do first.

i haven't seen any downsides to mysql other then the
version in potato isn't compadible with a lot of the
newer apps, i had to recompile mysql from source to
get things working. it seems plenty secure, plenty fast.

the main DB stuff i manage and help others manage are:
Bugzilla (www.mozilla.org)
EZpub (developer.ez.no)
DEMARC (demarc.org)

and several custom scripts for the company website.
rarely more then 1 or 2 db connections at any given
time ..real low usage.

mysql gets kind of slow with big DBs on the hardware
ive used it on. either that or its the perl front
end(DEMARC), with a 2GB+ db things went pretty slow.
i plan to buy a sun E3000 or something similar next
year with solaris to run the bigger dbs (most of my
dbs are 1MB or less, the bugzilla one is about 2MB)

nate