PAM problems

Hi,

I'm trying to get a pop server (cucipop run from inetd in this case)
working and am  having problems with authentication.

/etc/pam.d/cucipop contains this:

auth     required       pam_unix_auth.so
account  required       pam_unix_acct.so

This is what happens when I try to login:

dcpurton@twoflower:~$ telnet localhost 110
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK Cubic Circle's v1.31 1998/05/13 POP3 ready
<706400005e86203c@twoflower>
USER dcpurton
+OK dcpurton selected
PASS <hidden>
-ERR cucipop: Invalid password or username (check case)
QUIT
+OK Not really your day, is it?
Connection closed by foreign host.
dcpurton@twoflower:~$

The following is sent to xconsole:

Dec 19 22:51:50 twoflower cucipop[25712]: connect from localhost
Dec 19 22:52:00 twoflower PAM_unix[25709]: authentication failure;
                (uid=8) -> dcpurton for cucipop service

The same thing happens for all users (except root which appears to fail
because cucipop denys root logins rather than for pam reasons)

I've poked around in /etc/security and both the cucipop and pam man
pages, but as I'm not sure exactly why it's failing I havn't had much
luck.

cheers

dc

But, with very few exceptions, it is the composers of
the tunes, not the writers of the words, which have
made our English hymns famous.  The average Englishman
will happily sing any words to a good tune.

                                        Reginald Frary
                               "Don't upset the choir"

David Purton

http://www.chariot.net.au/~dcpurton/