Re: help!!!!!!!

william walters wrote:

>please forgive me for contacting you but I am new to linux.......and the =
>more I read the more confused i became.........I have an IBM 400mhz =
>computer with 64mb of ram......can you offer advice as to what freeware =
>linux system to download and play with for a newbie like me ..........I =
>understand pretty much about windows 98  and ME  ......but I don't know =
>what to chose with linux.      thanks again for your time.......
>                     chuck sanders

Personally, for the impatient, I won't recommend Debian for the beginner.
Better start with Mandrake. But, if you are open-minded enough and willing
to learn "GNU/Linux" then Debian is for you! Have the patience to start
using Debian GNU/Linux like how patient you are when you learn a new
language, be it a native tongue or a programming language.

Please don't confuse freeware (which mostly isn't "free" as in free software)
with free software. They're separate entities. For more info, check
opensource.org and start reading Eric Raymond's Halloween documents part 1.

Until you haven't installed Linux and used it, you won't understand much.
Using Linux is like a math course - you don't learn it at all in one sitting.
Math's much based on skill, which you gain through repeated good use. Same's
true with Linux. Good thing for us Linux users: help is mostly free via IRC
or this mailing list. Our colleague Linux users would even point you to the
appropriate manual to read for more info regarding any problem you have.

You should start installing now to begin with... then you post or ask. Your
post is quite vague. Perhaps a more detailed description to do would help
us here in the mailing list help you.

Paolo Alexis Falcone

www.edsamail.com