What causes segmentation faults?

On my machine, two or three different programs have given me segmentation
faults. The two that I remember are Enlightenment and bwBASIC. The
segmentation fault in Enlightenment only happened once, and Enlightenment
was removed soon thereafter.

In bwBASIC, however, I was able to reproduce the fault, and figure out what
I was doing that caused the segmentaion fault to happen, but I don't know
why it happened. I couldn't find anything when I tried to look it up using
man because /usr/man/man1/bwbasic.1.gz is a dangling symlink on my system,
and I don't know how to fix it at this point. What I did that caused the
segmentation fault was change a line that was causing an error, without
deleting it first, then running the program. If anyone is interested, the
attachment contains the contents of my search for how I caused the
segmentation fault.

Thanks for any help.

Seneca
seneca@slemish.com