Re: URGENT: sid update - now can't start X

On 18 Dec 2001, Shri Shrikumar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> you might have to download and install nvidia_glx and nvidia_kernel
> packages if you haven't done so already and change your driver from nv
> to nvidia - I was stuck at that for a day or so.

The reason that I updated my sid to the current sid in the first place was
to prepare for newer nvidia drivers. I usually like to do one thing at a
time though. Not that upgrading 394 packages in one go with apt-get is
"one thing", but it's never failed me before.

Anyway, I couldn't seem to build the latest nvidia debs for my 2.2.17
kernel with 2.7.2 gcc, so I upgraded to 2.2.19, overrode the compiler to
2.95.x, built and installed 2.2.19 and rebooted and built the new nvidia
drivers and rebooted and....everything is OK again.

Well, except I have to find that annoying "nolisten-tcp" business that
stops me from sending X displays back to this machine...

...RickM...