Re: VMWare

<quote who="Marcelo Chiapparini">
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to know if anyone in this list is using VMWare
> Workstation in  order to run flavours of Windows with Debian GNU
> Linux as the host machine.

i use vmware on debian for many things, one of which is
running win2000 with pcanywhere to manage the ~4 NT servers
i have at the company(luckily i have about 60 linux/unix
servers so headaches are avoided). it works well. never
crashed. my system at work has been up for 214 days..
i don't do much other then pcanywhere, i can only stand
to use it for limited amounts of time during the day(not
vmware, but win2000). ive reinstalled win2000 at least
twice since i last rebooted the host, and am reinstalling
it a 3rd time as soon as i get a chance.

i also use it to test stuff in debian and in freebsd.
solaris 7 works more or less on vmware.

if using vmware i reccomend a fast system, mimimal 450mhz,
256MB.  i'd go with 512MB minimum now though with 512MB
pc133 kingston at $73. you can do with less but its not
fun.

the best part is the undoable disks, its nice to test software,
then when your done hit the virtual power button(dont bother
with shutting down properly), and hit the discard button
when prompted to restore the machine to the point when
it last was powered on. thats the ultimate uninstall.

nate