Re: VMWare

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 10:42:33AM -0500, dman wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 09:25:16AM -0500, Mike Phillips wrote:
> | >
> | > I would like to know if anyone in this list is using VMWare Workstation in
> | > order to run flavours of Windows with Debian GNU Linux as the host machine.
> |
> | This is my normal mode of operation at work. Running unstable, and
> | Win98 under VMWare. Works like a charm, very rarely the machine will
> | lock up, but this is usually when I'm moving the focus in and out of
> | vmware too quickly.

<snip>

> Is anyone willing to share the downsides/limitations as well?  I've
> heard a lot of positive comments on this list (including Martin using
> VMWare to fool some users into thinking they have a windows system),
> but I know there must be another side to it.
>

> How much does it cost?
>
> What are the restrictions?  (Can I have 1 copy of VMWare on a big
> machine and use it by a bunch of diskless X terms?)

<snip>

Here follows the email I received from the VMWare folks. The links are plenty
of information.

Cheers,

Marcelo

Please see these links for the system requirments and lists of what VMware
supports.
Please note the differences between our current 2.0.4 version and our 3.0
Beta version:
http://www.vmware.com/support/ws2/doc/sysreqs_ws_linux.html
http://www.vmware.com/support/ws2/doc/guest_winme_ts_ws_linux.html

http://www.vmware.com/support/ws3/doc/intro_sysreqs_ws.html#998970
http://www.vmware.com/support/ws3/doc/ws30_intro4.html#1001621

If you are a student or part of a non-profit academic institution, you are
eligible for the academic pricing of the VMware (TM) Workstation product of
$119 for the electronic version (you download the software and we email the
license file/s) or $139 (plus shipping) for the packaged version (physical
CD shipped).

To be eligible for the academic Workstation pricing, you must have a
university email address or show proof that you will be making an Academic
purchase (i.e. using a University Purchase Order).

If you qualify and would like to place an order, please fax (650-475-5001)
over the information below for processing:

*end user's name and email address
*bill to and ship to address
*qty and type of license(s)
*distribution preference (electronic or shipped)
*credit card information or purchase order

Marcelo Chiapparini
DFT-IF/UERJ
chiappa@uerj.br