Re: Ncurses on PCs

On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 03:12:34PM -0800, cuong tran wrote:
| Hi,
|

| I am taking C++ and Data Structures courses at San Francisco State and
| most of my programs use ncurses. I understand that ncurses is a package
| of functions in the UNIX library for use in C and C++ programs. Is there
| any way I can download these funtions and use them from my home computer
| ( i want ncurses to be run on PC.) because sometime I can't connect to my
| school.

Yes.  Take a look at www.cygwin.com.  The ncurses library still
requires a POSIX system, but the cygwin folks have a very good
emulation layer for MS Windows.

| Can I install Linux on my home computer and then compile and run
| C programs using ncuses?

Yes.  I recommend linux over cygwin (the old house-on-the-sand
example, if the foundation is shaky then it is impossible to build a
solid structure on top of it).

| And how can I install Linux and Windows on the
| same machine?

Either using separate hard disks (recommended if you don't want to
(risk) re-install(ing) windows) or on separate partitions of a single
disk.  I've done it both ways.  Once the systems are installed you set
up a bootloader that allows you to choose with OS to boot.

-D

--

It took the computational power of three Commodore 64s to fly to the moon.
It takes at least a 486 to run Windows 95.