instalation problems

Can you please help me?  I have debian and i'm trying to install it. I encountered a problem when setting up the X server.
  It says "setting up xserver-vga16 (3.3.6-11potato32)
No default xserver previously set or previous default has been removed
Do you want to make vga16 X server default"

On no
Doesn't do anything, but loops back.

On Yes

Now default.  Do you want to create xfree86 cfg files?
Do you want to make Mach64 server default?
(on no, loops back)
 (on yes,"may take a while, hit enter",  screen flashes, message comes up "_ x11transSocketUNIXconnect : Can't connect errno = 111
The error message repeats 6 times
\ect\x11\xf86 config was not created,  (then loops back).

I have tried w/o graphics and it works, but I can't get any xgraphics to work.
Help!  I'm a newbie!

Jeff Newman