Re: JBoss & Linux Threads

On Sunday, December 16, 2001 11:52 PM, Holger.Rauch@heitec.de

> > each thread uses up one available process in the

> So the "bad" thing about this is that you need one PID for each
> thread? What's the advantage of lightweight threads compared to
> intra-process threads.

I think you mean to compare lightweight to process-
based mechanisms.

I would think that any disadvantage was due to the
overhead of using the kernel process mechanism.
Non-kernel threads can make assumptions that a
kernel process cannot so additional work is required
to acquire such a resource.  Also, I would guess that
the context switching for the process-based threads
costs more as well.

This is all just speculation on my part.  There are
many people on this list who are far more expert
with this kind of thing.

> Could you describe your installation a little further? How many concurrent
> users are there in your installation? Did you have to tune some kernel/JVM
> parameters to make it work (better)?

It's strictly a development platform for proof-
of-concept work.  No load to speak of so the
out-of-box config works fine.

> What's the URL for the official JBoss manual? Haven't found it.

>From jboss.org, you can purchase the manuals.  Just
go to the documentation area.

Good luck,

  -=greg