Re: startx -> /usr/bin/X11/X no such file

On Monday 17 December 2001 11:40, W. Paul Mills wrote:
> lloyder@canada.com writes:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Frustrated.  Original running woody now sid trying to
> > resolve this issue.  I am hoping that one of you has
> > crossed this bridge and are able to help!
> >
> > xf86config runs without snag... but when
> > 'startx' -> fails, b/c no /usr/bin/X11/X
> >
> > My understanding is that X should be a symlink to a
> > valid X server (e.g. /usr/bin/X11/XF86_SVGA).
> > # ls -d /usr/bin/X11/X*
> > Xmark
>
> You should also have:
>
> X         (Wrapper application that calls the X server)
> XF86_SVGA (or other X server)
>
> Years ago, my old slackware used a symlink from the server to X.
> Debian has used a wrapper application for security reasons as I
> understand it. Looks to me like you need to reinstall x-server-
> common and x-server-svga (or whatever the current package names
> are).

Not here:

$ which X
/usr/bin/X11/X
$ file /usr/bin/X11/X
/usr/bin/X11/X: setuid setgid ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386,
version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped

If it's sid or woody, it's likely to be XFree86 4.x You can make XFree
4 run the old way, using x-server-whatever. The new way is to get the
all-in-one wonder xserver-xfree86:

apt-get install xserver-xfree86
--
Sir Isaac Newton:
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."