Mouse trouble in X using a KVM switch

Hi all,

I've set up two computers to share a monitor, keyboard, and mouse with
a Belkin OmniCube 4-port KVM switch.

The problem is that if I cycle through the ports on the switch, my
mouse works fine so long as I return to my Linux box within 10 minutes
or so (the period is just a guesstimate). If I leave the switch set to
my Windows system and return to my linux system after an hour or so,
the mouse behaves erratically. I have to restart X to tame it.

My mouse is an MS Intellimouse Explorer. It's optical and has a wheel.
It's also a USB model, but I'm using an adapter to contort it to PS/2.
Here's how I have it configured:

  Section "InputDevice"
          Identifier  "Mouse0"
          Driver      "mouse"
  #       Option      "Protocol" "PS/2"
          Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
          Option      "Device" "/dev/mouse"
          Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
          Option      "Emulate3Buttons"
          Option      "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
  EndSection

Originally it was setup to use the PS/2 protocol, but I needed the
added functionality of the scroll wheel. Before changing the protocol
and adding the ZAxisMapping entries, the mouse worked fine, even
leaving my switch on the Windows box for an extended period of time.

I was wondering if anyone else out there has had this problem and
managed to find a solution.

TIA!
--
  Mark Wagnon <markwagnon@yahoo.com>