term, locale, and bbkeys

This is driving me completely nuts.

Let's say I have this in my .bbkeysrc (blackbox):

KeyToGrab(M), WithModifier(Mod1+Control), WithAction(ExecCommand),
DoThis(aterm +sb -tr -pr darkgrey -cr darkgrey -fg white -sh 40
-geometry 108x42+6+2 -e mutt)

And let's say my locale settings are:

(~)% locale
LANG=en_US
LC_CTYPE="en_US"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
LC_TIME="en_US"
LC_COLLATE="en_US"
LC_MONETARY="en_US"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US"
LC_PAPER="en_US"
LC_NAME="en_US"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US"
LC_ALL=en_US

Now, why is it that when I hit Ctrl+Alt+M, mutt opens and displays
certain characters with a question mark `?', but when I open an xterm
(or aterm, or whatever), and type `mutt' the characters are displayed
correctly?

Why does it seem to be picking up my LC_* settings one way, but not the
other?

--
Brian Clark | Debian GNU/Linux: 3950 packages to keep you busy.
Fingerprint: 07CE FA37 8DF6 A109 8119 076B B5A2 E5FB E4D0 C7C8