Help installing base system (sid i386 binary disc 1)

Im a new user thats just moved from Redhat. I have
downloaded the sid i386 binary 1 disc.

I am having a problem that the installer cannot find:
   basedebs.tgz

>From searching the web and the mailing lists I have
found out that the basedebs.tgz file is not meant to
exist on the cd.

or else it wants
   dists/woody/binary-i386/Release

which is not on my cd i think as I downloaded the sid
iso image.

I would tell the installer to get the files from a ftp
server but my network card wont work in the installer.
 The module loads but the dhcp fails and configuring
manually didnt help either.

I have tried downloaing the files onto a windows
partition but when it is mounted there are no long
filenames. also the same thing when I put them on cd.

I have also tried making a basedebs.tgz file but the
install errors on extracting it (probably because I
made it in windows).

Should the files that are needed for the base system
be on the binary disc 1 cd?

Could anyone help?

~Mike

=====