Kernel Image without framebuffer

O.K., I am using the kernel image wody 2.4.9-1 - everything works fine except that I am not able to enable the vesa stuff (cannot load it as module neither) ... what can I do .... do I have to compile the kernel by myself ... so, if I should prefer this .... is it posible to copy the config-file from the image to the source directory and load via make menuconfig then compile it with the same options (except fb-support as a kernel part not a module) .... would this work or do I have to change anything with the initrd-image ...please, can somebody tell me

Oliver