OpenOffice.org641 --> no menu txt, no pop-up txt

Hi!

I'm running an up-to-date unstable with the stlports libraries and am
trying to get OpenOffice641 to work (638 doesn't work either...:( ).

On my "testing" machine, I don't have any problems and was able to
install both 638 and 641 (w)out difficulty.

The installation here on unstable doesn't show any text at all. Pressing
return through the installationsroutine successfully installs OpenOffice
( in my home directory as I do this as a normal user ) so that I can
start it and create new documents etc., but the menus are only made up
of icons and lines (where normally text would be). Clicking on the open
icon, I get a grey, opaque window with a white slit at the top and the
usual title bar "Open."

I don't get any error messages when I start from an xterm, but strace
shows requests for library files that I already have: libhistory.so.4,
for example.

Searching through the web, I've found other problems, but not this one.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Eamon Roque.