Re: telnet unable to connect

Karsten M. Self wrote:

on Sat, Dec 15, 2001 at 11:55:07PM -0700, Paul Scott (waterhorse@ultrasw.com) wrote:

I have looked at as much documentation as I can and I haven't found the answer to this simple question:

My two computers with fixed IP's can ping each other but telnet says "unable to connect to remote host" I would guess it might have to do with file permissions. I just need this because of the X lockups I get often enough to be a problem.

TIA for hints as to where to look or what I should be reading.

First, I'd strongly encourage you to use ssh for remote access (yes,
even on a secure local network).

Thanks, I was aware of that and these two machines are right next to each other and just used by me and my wife. OTOH I now realize that I should not setup or allow telnet at all. Is the setup for ssh exactly the same as for telnet. I didn't see it in the example I found in the HOWTO.

I suspect your telnet issues have to do with /etc/inetd.conf and/or
tcpwrappers.

I was just beginning to discover that. That brings the questions: is /usr/sbin/in.telnetd a real executable or will it be a link created as a result of the contents of inetd.conf?

Thanks,

Paul