Re: Help getting KDE!

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 21:48, Neal Lippman wrote:
> My problem now is: How do I get kde? apt-get install kde doesn't work,
> telling me I need to specify a package name. Looking at the listing of
> packages in /var/apt/cache, there are a whole bunch of kde-related packages,
> but it isn't clear what to select to just get the whole kde installed (I am
> assuming that when I apt-get kde, X will come along automatically due to
> dependencies). Do I need to install each kde package individually? That
> doesn't seem right, since I thought the whole point of debian (well, one of
> the whole points, anyway) was the power and simplicity of apt-get.

Better discuss this on the debian-kde list, but right it's a user issue
as well :-)

Are there kde packages installed, which version?

Run dpkg -l "*kde*" to find that out.

Maybe you have installed kde and it simply does not start?

For sure, not all X packages are installed that you need.
Do you jave any xclients/xdm/kdm things?

The other thing is:

The kde packages in woody have been a lot in transition lately:
2.2.0 -> 2.2.1 -> 2.2.2

As you should not mix kde packages from different versions, most kde
woody users have problems. I have solved that by getting the kde
packages from sid/unstable.

Bye, Steffen