Kernel config: make menuconfig: cannot find ncurses

Hi all !

I'm trying to compile a new (2.4.13) kernel on an old 486 box. When I
try to configure it with "make menuconfig" I get the following error:

===== Start of the error message =====
rm -f include/asm
( cd include ; ln -sf asm-i386 asm)
make -C scripts/lxdialog all
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux/scripts/lxdialog'
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -Incurses
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

>> Unable to find the Ncurses libraries.
>>
>> You must have Ncurses installed in order
>> to use 'make menuconfig'

make[1]: *** [ncurses] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/scripts/lxdialog'
make: *** [menuconfig] Error 2
===== End of the error message =====

So, 'make menuconfig' claims that ncurses is not installed.
Searching for 'ncurses' in dselect shows that libncurses5,
ncurses-base, ncurses-bin and ncurses-term are installed.
libncurses5-dev and libncurses5-dbg are not installed.

The box is a recent potato installation upgraded to woody, running as a
proxy. This is the first time I try to compile the kernel on this
machine, and I never had problems compiling the kernel before on other
boxes. I use kernel-package.

Any help on this ??  Thanks in advance !!

Daniel
--
"There is no spoon..." - The Matrix