Problems compiling kernel 2.4.16 under woody

Hi!

I have installed one of the first potato releases from cd on a
blank hard disk and compiled kernel 2.4.16. Fine.

I then upgraded with apt-get to yesterdays woody/testing
and no longer manage to compile the same sources.
I have made
	make mrproper
	make menuconfig
	make dep
	make bzImage

I have just set the processor to 'athlon' the chipset and the sound to 'via'.
One of the last steps of 'make bzImage', the linking of the object files,
failed with this error message

drivers/sound/sounddrivers.o(.data+0xb4): undefined reference to `local symbols in discarded section .text.exit'
make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1

If I do not change the standard configuration, the kernel compiles fine.
What does that mean? May I have missed installing an important package?

The program/package versions are
gcc 2:2.95.4-8
binutils 2.11.92.0.12.3-3

I failed to compile kernel 2.4.14 for the same reasons.
I did not had success with gcc 2.95.2 and gcc 3.0.2 either.

Armin