Re: computer hangs, how do I go about diagnosing?

On 14 Dec 2001, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 02:17:18PM -0500, Paul Reavis (preavis@partnersoft.com) wrote:
> > My computer is experiencing intermittent hangs. Generally I'm doing
> > something in X, but I really have no idea what the real pattern is. I
> > left my machine on last night and it hung overnight.
> >
> > I suspected hardware, but ran cpuburn (`burnK7`) for almost two hours
> > with no trouble, and then ran a full memtest86 in real mode with no
> > errors. Also I've built numerous kernels with no trouble.
>
> For a bit of additional detail, see my kernel-bug-report script:
>
>     http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Download/kernel-bug-report
>
> It's based on the REPORTING-BUGS file in /usr/src/linux, and does a good
> job of compiling system information.

[snip]

If you are using a 2.4.x kernel, I suspect it's something to do with VM.
I've had total lockups about once a day with this series, always when
using the modem and X. It isn't hardware because since reverting to
2.2.20 I've had no problems. I don't use modules so it isn't that and
there were few other processes running at the time. No particular
browser or other program appears to cause it reproducibly.

On my laptop (Toshiba Satellite 4000CDT) I use 2.4.16 without any
lockups.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux GNU/Debian (Windows-free zone)
For an electronic book (The Assassins of Alamut), skeptical

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our
obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come
from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. [Carl Sagan]