pcmcia partial troubles

Friends, I have a laptop with woody + a tailored kernel 2.4.16 +
pcmcia-cs 1.3.27 (both from Bunk's stuff).  Now I have a D-Link
DFE-680TXD pcmcia ethernet card and, I cannot believe it, D-Link
supports Linux!

For my old pcmcia network card, a 3Com589, I compiled support for
PCMCIA and my card right into the kernel when re-compiling it.

BUT..  I downloaded from D-Link support site a revised
pcmcia-cs-3.1.15r3.tgz file in which is included the needed module for
my pcmcia card: tulip_cb.c (in the documentation is written that it
requires 2.0,2.2,2.3 kernels, no word about 2.4).

What should I do next?

I'm somewhat disorientated:

1) Should I compile the amended package provided by D-Link?

2) Could I force in some way the tulip_cb module into my kernel?

Besides I wonder why this module has been eliminated from the latest
versions both of the pcmcia package and from the new kernel?

PLEASE HELP

Vittorio