Re: compiling kernel under unstable/testing (3.0)

On Friday 14 December 2001 05:02 am, Thomas Richter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after upgrading an unstable release this week and building a 2.4.16 kernel
> the following error occured:
>
> error: undefined reference to `local symbols in discarded section
> .data.exit
>
> later I messed up the machine, so here are the things I've written down
> or can remember:
>
> net.o and char.o where the files the error occured.
>
> I found the following on the binutils-list
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2001-11/msg00193.html
> and there was
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb/2001-11/msg00000.html
>
> So I removed .text.exit from the DISCARD section in arch/i386/vmlinux.lds
> and everything went fine and the built kernel just run fine.
>
> ld version was afair 20011121.
> the 2.4.9 I build some weeks before had the same problem after the upgrade
> so I think it's really the binutils causing the problem.
>
> But, is it really the binutils or is it the kernel-source? Since I cannot
> make a kernel under debian you're the first I send these lines to, maybe
> it's better to downgrade to the former binutils, but where shall I send a
> bug-report to, the kernel people or the binutils people?
>
> please excuse my "german english"
>
> so long tho
hello,
as someone pointed out on the list is seems it is a bug in the kernel that is
exposed by the last binutils version; the previous version of binutils
ignored/didn't noticed the error;
it is said the the next iteration of the kernel will have it fixed (or you
could go for 2.4.17-pre??, don't know exactly); or you could downgrade
binutils...

cheers, dragos