Re: Fwd: Debian Won't Install! (System Locks Up)

Mark Seven Smith wrote:

In the installation [of Potato], the install program that comes up is a simple text-based interface, with scrolling lists and such. But if I try to scroll the lists, the whole computer bombs--it just locks up. It is very strange; the keyboard wont' work, the RESET switch won't work, I have to power-down, and then power back up and reboot.

I am booting from the CD-ROM (although I have tried making floppy disks to boot from; but it didn't matter).

The card is an ATI Rage 128. It was suggested that I try WOODY Debian.

So, I just received my CD-ROMs containing WOODY. However, I STILL CANNOT INSTALL! What is going on?

I can get through the installation process, by formatting my hard drive ahead of time, and then just hitting <ENTER> at each prompt. BUT THE REAL PROBLEM COMES when I am supposed to choose "modules".

I cannot scroll through these [choose modules] lists; in fact, I can choose the FIRST "fs" above (binfmt_aout), because I don't have to scroll any lists, I just have to click the down-arrow a few times to get to where "fs" is, and then when I select that, "binfmt_aout" is right there, and I select that, and then it is fine.

But when I go further down the list, the greater the chances the system is going to lock up, WITHOUT WARNING.

I am currently running Red Hat Linux 7.1. I can also run (and have run just fine in the past:) SuSE Linux, Mandrake Linux, and various other types of Linux that I've tried. Also, I used to run Windows 95, 98, and 2000 on this very system, with no problems.

I stripped ALL of the hardware out of my computer, except what was absolutely NEEDED for the install--trying to see what other pieces of hardware might be causing the trouble. I also changed my keyboard, twice. I haven't tried a different video card, because I cannot afford it, and anyhow I am using that same video card in Linux, right now (but tragically, this isn't Debian!) I am running Red Hat 7.1, <sigh!>

I have an ABIT motherboard, with 256 MB of RAM, a sis-gig hard drive, a 30-gig hard drive, an Intel PII 400 MHz, 300W power supply, D-Link DFE-530TX ethernet card, standard SoundBlaster sound card, a 56kb modem card that is not being used, a generic fast CD-ROM player (56X? I don't recall), and a floppy drive. I am using a cable modem box, for Cox@home Internet connection.

Does anyone have any ideas at all?  Please help!

If there are alternative ways to install Debian from the CD-ROM (automatic, for instance), then I would like to hear about any & all alternatives; because I figure that once it is installed, the problem will go away--after all, Debian IS simply Linux, and I am using Linux right now! :-)

Thanks in advance,

--Mark Seven Smith
pampaluz@home.com

A couple of ideas:

Are you overclocking? Try dropping the speed a notch or two.

Any other BIOS settings that may be causing problems?

Set up a small (50 - 75MB) partition on hda1 with an MS-DOS fdisk and format and make it bootable to MS-DOS (or Win95 Command Prompt only). Either configure it to access your CD-ROM from DOS, or then boot off the Woody CD to the point where you can Alt-F2 to another virtual terminal and mount the DOS partition. Copy from the CD-ROM to that partition all the files you need to boot Linux from DOS and do the base install. This'll take 5-15MB (I don't remember exactly). You can figure out what files you need by checking out the HowToInstall pages at www.debian.org (I can give you exact references if you can't find it). Then start the Linux install from there (via loadlin.exe), and when the installer asks where you want to install the base OS from, specify the DOS partition. After a successful install, you can reclaim that partition for other uses (make it 128, 256, or 512MB and you can convert it to swap space, which supposedly gives you a slight speed advantage to have your swap at the beginning of your disk, or you can move your / partition that that area, etc). This may or may not work, but it should be worth trying.

If you have multiple sticks of RAM, swap them around. Shouldn't make a difference, but you're grasping at straws, so try it.

Your video card should be okay; still, if you can borrow a different one just long enough to try, that'd be good. If you have a college in the neighborhood, they might have a hardware shop with some old PCI card they'll loan you (or sell you for $3).

You can also bypass installing any modules during the install; you can always install them later after the base install.

Kent