Re: Latest GnuCash .debs

dman <dsh8290@rit.edu> writes:

> On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 04:52:23PM -0800, Charles Baker wrote:
>
> | Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but fixes/improvements developed in
> | unstable take two weeks to get into testing. Anything that is broken
> | in unstable usually gets fixed very rapidly.

It's quite a bit more complicated than a lay-over of 2 weeks.  From the
Testing FAQ at http://people.debian.org/~jules/testingfaq.html

A (particular version of a) package will move into testing when it
satisfies all of the following criteria:

   1. It must have been in unstable for 10, 5 or 2 days, depending on
      the urgency of the upload;

   2. It must be compiled on (at least) every architecture which the
      corresponding version in testing was compiled on;

   3. It must have fewer release-critical bugs than, or the same
      number as, the version currently in testing;

   4. All of its dependencies must either be satisfiable by packages
      already in testing, or be satisfiable by the group of packages
      which are going to be installed at the same time;

   5. The operation of installing the package into testing must not
      break any packages currently in testing. (See below for more
      information)

And furthermore, base packages are now frozen.

> Yes, but also remember that (in theory at least) those problems never
> even enter testing in the first place.

Not necessarily for security fixes, though.  An insecure package in
testing will not be updated until it matches the criteria above, just
like any other package.

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>
BigNachos@jabber.org