Re: gimp 1.2/unstable

dman <dsh8290@rit.edu> writes:

> On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 08:28:37PM -0500, Jens Gecius wrote:
> | Hi folks!
> |
> | I just started scanning a couple of negatives at 1600dpi and am trying
> | to work with them in the gimp.
> |
> | Unfortunately, I don't see the gimp being nice to memory. I have 1G on
> | board, a 768M swap partition, and /tmp has another 950M free. Alls
> | available (swap actually was never used).
> |
> | Now I load ONE image (the scan, approx. 60M) in Gimp and usage of
> | memory by gimp is 40M. *Additionally* Gimp eats up 430M (!!) in /tmp.
> |
> | And if I do some copy/paste-new/save/close, after 2 or 3 turns my /tmp
> | is eaten up. No more space available. 950M eaten to keep ONE image??
> | This seems to me kind of ridiciulous.
> |
> | Any idea how to cope that? I use image tile size 24M, conservative
> | memory usage (tried without that - same).
> |
> | And please no hints like "get a bigger hd for tmp". This whole
> | swapping while mem _is_ available makes no sense to me.
>
> gimp does that because it is such a memory hog, and it wants to be
> nicer to other apps.

Well, that's why I happen to have 1G RAM, I wanted to be nicer to apps
:-)

Can't I somehow say "Well, take up to 700M from RAM, then file"? That
would be decent. Or something like "take 70% of available ram".

> How many levels of undo have you enabled?

5, but I reduced it to 2 now. I see the point of keeping multiple
pictures in its swapfile.

> 60MB is a big picture, and if you do some operations, gimp must save
> the old state of the image so that you can undo the operation.  Thus
> lots of memory/swap usage.  If you reduce the size of the image, or
> the resolution, it would decrease the resources required to process
> it.

That's actually what I'm trying to do. I have a six-negatives image
(I'll also try to reduce that) and just want to split it into single
images. I never thought it'll be that hard to do...

--
Tschoe,                http://gecius.de/gpg-key.txt - Fingerprint:
 Jens                  1AAB 67A2 1068 77CA 6B0A  41A4 18D4 A89B 28D0 F097