gimp 1.2/unstable

Hi folks!

I just started scanning a couple of negatives at 1600dpi and am trying
to work with them in the gimp.

Unfortunately, I don't see the gimp being nice to memory. I have 1G on
board, a 768M swap partition, and /tmp has another 950M free. Alls
available (swap actually was never used).

Now I load ONE image (the scan, approx. 60M) in Gimp and usage of
memory by gimp is 40M. *Additionally* Gimp eats up 430M (!!) in /tmp.

And if I do some copy/paste-new/save/close, after 2 or 3 turns my /tmp
is eaten up. No more space available. 950M eaten to keep ONE image??
This seems to me kind of ridiciulous.

Any idea how to cope that? I use image tile size 24M, conservative
memory usage (tried without that - same).

And please no hints like "get a bigger hd for tmp". This whole
swapping while mem _is_ available makes no sense to me.

--
Tschoe,                http://gecius.de/gpg-key.txt - Fingerprint:
 Jens                  1AAB 67A2 1068 77CA 6B0A  41A4 18D4 A89B 28D0 F097