Re: emu10k1 troubles...

Hi Brad,

> I have never used make-kpkg kernel tools. How would I use this to set up the
> alsa stuff needed?

You *should* use make-kpkg! :) It makes kernel building and module
handling a lot easier.  Here's how:

Just download the latest "alsa-source" package by typing "apt-get
install alsa-source" as root.  Oh yeah, and do a "dpkg-reconfigure
alsa-source" afterwards so that you can set the packages compile-time
settings (what card, what options). After this, go to /usr/src and
untar/ungzip the new alsa-source.tar.gz file there.  It will make a
bunch of sub directories.. modules/alsa-source, I think... then go into
/usr/src/linux (or wherever your latest kernel is) and do this:

As root, type "make-kpkg kernel_image modules".  This will (hopefully)
bring you to the kernel configure screen if you've never done it
before.. (if you don't need the kernel installed or don't want a kernel
deb, just use "make-kpkg modules")tweak whatever you have to tweak and
then exit.  make-kpkg will continue to build the kernel and the modules
and then assemble nicely debianized packages for both the kernel and
modules in /usr/src.  From there, just "dpkg -i yourkernelpackage.deb
yourmodulepackage.deb" and it'll install it for you, lilo and all.  If
you use grub or something else, remember to reinstall it after a kernel
upgrade.

hope this helps,
Matt