Re: emu10k1 troubles...

"Jonathan D. Proulx" <jon@ai.mit.edu> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having weird problems with sound using the emu10k1 module.  The
> system bell is coming out through the speakers, but other sound (xmms,
> gcd, etc..) seems to play (ie no complaints about devices,
> visualization shows levels) but no sound comes out.
>
> Adjusting mixer levels affects the system bell, but not the others.
>
> I'm running 2.4.6, tried the modules that built with it and the latest
> from creative.  Both have the same behaviour.  Get the same as root
> and two different "regular" users.

The emu10k1 driver in 2.4.6 is pretty stale; it was updated somewhere
around 2.4.9 to come somewhat up to date with the creative sources.  I
believe there were updated because the older driver didn't work for
Linus.

> emu10k1                56272   0
> ac97_codec              9264   0 [emu10k1]

I assume the "sound" module is loaded as well, right?

Does the driver load properly in dmesg?  Does something like:

# cat some_sound.wav > /dev/dsp

work?

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>