Re: A package that does not want to die

I only caught the end of this thread, but did you try the dpkg --remove
<pkgname> method.  It has always worked for me with some additional
manual removal of some of the residual directories left behind because
user-created files were still around.

My $.02 (hopefully not borrowed previously from someone else ;-)

>>> "nate" <debian-user@aphroland.org> 12/12/01 09:04PM >>>
<quote who="Stephen J. Thompson">
> Hello All,
>

> I have tried installing the package but it is F****d. Can anyone
> help me on  removing it?

if apt-get can't remove it and dpkg can't..id say fuckit and
edit the /var/lib/dpkg/status file and remove it from there,
then the system should no longer think its installed. ive
edited the status file for other reasons(tricking it into
thinking something is installed when its not) and it works
ok..

kinda dangerous though. be careful. coruse you'll still
have the files on your system, but apt-get and dpkg should
stop bitching. maybe you can dpkg -L <package name> to
get a listing of the files on the package and manually
remove them. but if the package is in a bad state it may
not give that information to you.

good luck.

nate