Re: moving to Debian

On Wednesday 12 December 2001 11:25 pm, Kurt Lieber wrote:
[snip]
> Honestly, I'd recommend skipping testing and going straight to unstable.
> Despite the name, unstable is quite acceptable as a desktop machine.  I
> wouldn't run it as a server, but I wouldn't run testing on a server,
> either. Testing has too many  dependency conflicts that don't get resolved
> in a timely fashion because of the way testing works.  Testing really isn't
> meant for human consumption, IMO.  When unstable has problems, they're
> generally resolved within a day or two.
>
> I had more problems running testing than I've had since I've moved to Sid.
> YMMV, however.
>
> hth
>
> --kurt

i absolutely unhesitatingly agree with this. i've used debian for just over a
month. where the first two weeks, using testing/woody, were extremely
frustrating and unsatisfying, since going straight to unstable/sid, pretty
much everything works as well as i ever wanted. the fact that issues in
unstable are taken care of quickly makes all the difference. also, this is
without a doubt the best user list i have ever come across, and using
unstable is the best way to get the most out of it. debian, and especially
unstable, is a trip well worth taking.