Re: Sharing dotfiles between diverse accounts

<quote who="David Z Maze">

> This seems like a common enough problem that anybody sufficiently
> geeky (say, who has a Debian machine at home and some Unixy machine
> at work/school) would have run into it.  Are there any pre-canned,
> or at least not-too-groady home-baked solutions out there?

i run about 35 debian systems, 4 of which i use heavily
daily(the rest are mostly dedicated servers). and i run
another 20 sun sparc solaris systems/ibm aix/tru64 etc.

maybe im not geeky enough but my dotfiles are always empty.
about the only thing i keep in sync is my ~/.ssh/authorized_keys
file. i modify the /etc/profile to do some minor things
on login on the systems but nothing in the .bashrc .bash_login
.bash_logout .profile or .cshrc .login etc etc..except the
defaults ...my authorized_keys file is kept in synch
manually(it changes once every few months at the most)

if your dotfiles don't have anything too important on them
you may be able to put them on a central webserver and
have wget or lynx download them upon login. or put them
on a ftp and use wget or lynx or ncftpget. you'd have to
do the initial download manually but after that..it should
be automatic.

some of my friends have several pages of dotfiles,
i just never had a need to customize them. i guess
i just use so many different systems i don't want
to get used to special aliases or shortcuts to commands
then i will get confused when i move to a system
that doesn't have such a setup. you'd have to modify
the copy on the webserver and the synch would only
be one way..but depending on the situation that
would probably be a good thing. otherwise you may
have systems overwriting each other's dotfiles
not saving all the changes. i don't know about you
but i usually stay logged into hosts for days or
weeks at a time.

has worked fine for me for years ..

nate