Re: Amount of RAM L1 cache on a processor will support

Thanks to Aaron, Nate, dman, and Gary, especially for the web page
references. I'll spend some time looking at that before asking
again.

Your articles were enlightening, but you don't address my question.

I know only 256 or 384 K will be in the cache at anyone time.
I also know that the tag ram is what determines how much of memory
can be cached (paged against with the pages of cache, done EXACTLY
like the disk is paged against main memory.)

I have spent considerable time pouring over google references and
have found Alan Cox's article about the issue of a machine having
too little tag ram. I also found articles about the 430 chip set and
the tag ram having 8 bits restricting maximum cacheable memory to
what? 64MB and 11 bits restricting to some larger number.

I was once able to do the necessary computations, but I last taught
architecture several years ago. I still have the broad brush strokes
of the ideas, but no details.

I went to AMDs web site and looked at the documents for the Athlon.
They say the chip has 256K of "L2" cache. That cache is still on
chip, and I prefere to call that "L1", and I prefer to call the data
stream cache and instruction stream cache just that, instruction
cache and data cache.

Incidentaily I don't understand how the instruction cache or data
cache can be thought of as caching against main memory. According to
the diagrams in the article from AMD what they call "L1" cache is
used to cache data and instructions from the L2 cache which in turn
actually caches against main memory.

The article says "that the L2 cache being on the processor makes the
maximum cacheable memory 'non-issue'." I find that hard to believe,
unless there is something about the architecture the author isn't
saying.

The bottom line is that they say exactly zip about the tag ram. How
the blazes do I find out how big the cache pages are and how much
tag ram the Athlon cache has? Once i know these bits of data I can
determine how much RAM the blankety blank thing will cache.

The MoBo uses 266 MHz front side bus, and the DDR (double data rate)
RAM is 266 MHz (unless there something else I either never knew or
have forgotton) That suggests to me that the whole of memory is as
fast as some early caches were. I suspect that is colored marketoid
too.

Oh well, if you know anything else that you can tell me, including
where to look please, send email!

Again thanks for the assistance. I have several places to look I did
not have earlier. This community is the greatest.

--David