Re: Need help w/ dhcpd and shared-network option . . .

Jeff Vincent, 2001-Dec-11 19:25 -0700:
> There are no other routers between the subnets that I know of.
>
> When we configure our machines statically, all use the same static
> route at address X.Y.D.254 (same as static route?) and all use the same
> subnet mask of 255.255.252.0 regardless of subnet and has been that way
> for nearly 2 years.  (netmasks have always been a bit of voodoo magic
> for me anyway (see question below)— ack!)  However, our IS dept. told
> us to use that subnet mask and additionally delegated us a domain and
> the 4 class C subnets for our testing use.  At least I thought they were
> class C address blocks:
>
> X.Y.A.[0-255]
> X.Y.B.[0-255]
> X.Y.C.[0-255]
> X.Y.D.[0-255]
>
> where the '0' is the network and '255' is the broadcast address.

Okay, so the the mask you are using actually makes those four
blocks into a single subnet.  So, you don't have for routable
subnets configured, you have a single subnet of ~1000 host
addresses, a single network address of X.Y.A.0 and a single
broadcast address of X.Y.D.255.  This is generally not a good
idea for several reasons, but it's obviously functional.

To make those four Class C blocks into four subnets, you'd need
to change the mask to 255.255.255.0 and you'd need to do some
routing.

> If I change the netmask to 255.255.252.0 I get this message:
>
>      No subnet declaration for eth0 (151.155.155.252).
>      Please write a subnet declaration in your dhcpd.conf file for the
>      network segment to which interface eth0 is attached.
>      exiting.
>
> I then added an additional subnet declaration for <subnet4> inside the
> shared-network section but with no range (we don't want any of this
> subnet in the dhcp pool) and now it seems to work.  I am most confused.

Ah!  I didn't catch that the first time.  Yeah, you have to
declare all interfaces that the system has configured.  Dhcpd
checks them all and shouldn't even start the daemon if there is a
configured interface that is not declared.  The range is needed
only if you want to serve addresses on that interface.

> Maybe I need to really figure out the netmask thing.  Is the netmask
> that is part of the subnet declaration different from the 'option
> subnet-mask' statement?

Yeah, this is getting a bit tricky since you've got such a huge
subnet.  I'll post any ideas that might occur to me.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer
Diggin' Debian		Admin and User