Re: how to print dilbert comics

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 03:56:58AM -0600, Gary Turner wrote:
| On Wed, 12 Dec 2001 01:13:09 -0500, dman wrote:
|
| >Sometimes I'd like to print a dilbert comic and share with someone who
| >wouldn't go look on the web.
| >
| >Galeon does a good job of loading the image and displaying it
| >on-screen, but when I print it comes out a little too wide and gets
| >cut off on the right (us-letter paper).  I can print to a file, but it
| >has the same problem.  I can specify "-o landscape" to 'lp' but then
| >the whole top of the comic is cut off (the bottom left of the paper is
| >the postscript origin, and the paper is shorter in landscape).
| >
| >A solution might be to save the image, load it with gimp and then
| >print.  That is fine by me, except when I get "lp: stdin empty".  Gimp
| >won't print anything at all.  I even checked the gimp1.2-print package
| >version and grabbed the latest from sid (4.2.0-1.1).  I have the
| >latest gimp also (1.2.2-2.1).

| dman, I don't have gimp and my linux box is off line, so I'll just
| suggest a plan of action.  Click on the image and save.  Open the GIF in
| GIMP and rotate the image.  Export the rotated image to GIF, JPEG, PNG
| or PDF.  Open the new file in your browser or PDF viewer and print.  The
| image GIF in the original is 600x21? pixels, which should fit fine.

I didn't think to _save_ to PS from GIMP (I was only thinking
printing).

Here's my results :

o   print-to-file from galeon cuts off right edge
o   save-as-PS from gimp gives PS file.  Ok.

(using PS file from GIMP)
o   printed directly, the right edge is cut off.
o   printed with "-o landscape" the left edge is cut off.  (go figure)
o   convert-to-pdf with ps2pdf.  Loading in acroread shows the image
        fits on the page, but the right edge is at the right edge,
        hence the cut offs due to margin, etc.
(using PDF file from ps2pdf)
o   In acroread, in "Page Setup" select landscape.  Then
        print-to-file.  Open in gnome-gv, all is good.  Print.  :-)

That works, thanks.

-D

--

Commit to the Lord whatever you do,