/dev/st0 doesn't exist

I'm trying to setup a SCSI tape drive.

For the record it is an HP C1537A 12/24GB DDS Drive

This is the output of /proc/scsi/scsi:
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 04 Lun: 00
  Vendor: HP       Model: C1537A           Rev: L610
  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02

If anyone wants to see it, the output of /proc/scsi/advansys/0 is at the
bottom of the message.

My problem is that /dev/st0 and /dev/nst0 do not exist. Ie: ls /dev/st0
would result in No such file or directory.

SCSI Support and my low level drive (advansys) are compiled into the
kernel. I'm loading the scsi tape support as a module.

modprobe st reults in:
Detected scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 4, lun 0

yet /dev/st0 is not there.

Is there another way I'm supposed to access the drive or do I need to
install a package that would set that up for me. cpio was already installed
and I tried installing taper to see what that would do. It didn't
accomplish anything.

My laptop, which has Redhat 7.2 because my debian 2.1 CD didn't have the
right drivers for my pcmcia network card and I was too lazy to make a CD
that had them (although I'm begining to regret that now). I guess that
bears mentioning that the machine that is giving me probelms is running
potato with 2.2.19. And the reason for mentioning RedHat was, an ls
/dev/st* there includes /dev/st0 through /st61 and a lot in between.

Also, just remembered to check some of my other debian machines to see if
they have any /dev/st0. Of the two that I checked, none of them have
anything related to st.

I'm thinking there might be something debian specific that I'm missing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Chad

------
Output of /proc/scsi/advansys/0:
AdvanSys SCSI 3.3D: PCI Ultra-Wide: BIOS C8000/7FFF, IO C000/3F, IRQ 11

ROM BIOS Version: 3.2?

Device Information for AdvanSys SCSI Host 0:
Target IDs Detected: 4, 7, (7=Host Adapter)
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 04 Lun: 00
  Vendor: HP       Model: C1537A           Rev: L610
  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02

EEPROM Settings for AdvanSys SCSI Host 0:
 Serial Number: AA09E111B111
 Host SCSI ID: 7, Host Queue Size: 253, Device Queue Size: 63
 termination: 0 (Automatic), bios_ctrl: ffe7
 Target ID:            0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F
 Disconnects:          Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y
 Command Queuing:      Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y
 Start Motor:          Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y
 Synchronous Transfer: Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y
 Ultra Transfer:       Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y
 Wide Transfer:        Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y

Linux Driver Configuration and Information for AdvanSys SCSI Host 0:
 host_busy 0, last_reset 0, max_id 16, max_lun 8, max_channel 0
 unique_id 0, can_queue 253, this_id 7, sg_tablesize 255, cmd_per_lun 0
 unchecked_isa_dma 0, use_clustering 1, loaded_as_module 0
 flags c, last_reset 0, jiffies 1f5ad
 queue_depth: 4:63

Linux Driver Statistics for AdvanSys SCSI Host 0:
 command 0, queuecommand 23, abort 0, reset 0, biosparam 0
 interrupt 23, callback 23, done 23
 exe_noerror 23, exe_busy 0, exe_error 0, exe_unknown 0
 build_error 0, build_noreq 0, build_nosg 0
 cont_cnt 23, cont_xfer 11.5 kb avg_xfer 0.4 kb
 Active and Waiting Request Queues (Time Unit: 100 HZ):
 target 4
   active: cnt [cur 0, max 1, tot 9], time [min 0, max 1, avg 0.7]
   waiting: cnt [cur 0, max 0, tot 0], time [min 0, max 0, avg 0.0]

Adv Library Configuration and Statistics for AdvanSys SCSI Host 0:
 iop_base e0800000, cable_detect: 3, err_code 0
 chip_version 64, lib_version 50c, mcode_date 1502, mcode_version 50c
 Queuing Enabled: 4:N
 Queue Limit: 4:1
 Command Pending: 4:0
 Wide Enabled: 4:Y
 Transfer Bit Width: 4:8
 Synchronous Enabled: 4:Y
  4: Transfer Period Factor: 25 (10.0 Mhz), REQ/ACK Offset: 15