Re: Problems with drawtool

Sebastian Canagaratna wrote:

> Hi:
>
>   I am running Debian Woody. When I try to run drawtool I get:
>
>   acccepting import port (20001) connection
>   Xerror of failed request: BadAccess (attempt to access private
>   resource denied)
>   Major op code of failed request 89(X_Store Colors)
>   Serial Number of failed request: 70
>   Current serial number of output stream: 285
>    and the program aborts.
>   Idraw and graphdraw work OK.
>
>   How does one get to the bottom of this? Is there some problem with
>   the X installation? I get very large fonts when I run Netscape,
>   the WIndow labels on xterms are unusually large. I have Xfree86 4.1
>   but I am using the XF86_I128 server, but I believe I had the
>   same problem with the XF86_SVGA server.
>
>   Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> --
> Sebastian Canagaratna
> Department of Chemistry
> Ohio Northern University
> s-canagaratna@onu.edu
>
> --
listmaster@lists.debian.org

Sebastian,

It is the initialization of the X11 colormap to a standard 6R6G6B
setting that
is failing for you (6**3 == 216 entries).  You can avoid this with the
-nocolor6
drawtool argument.  Colors will still work, but the possible 256 colors
might
get hogged by a raster you import, and you aren't guaranteed a visible
rubberband at all times.

I am curious what version of the X11 server you are using?  Could it be
kwin
from the KDE distribution?  They have been evolving their version of the
server, and problems have been cropping up with relation to ivtools.

Scott Johnston
http://www.ivtools.org

p.s. an aside to Guenter Geiger, the ivtools Debian maintainer:  it
looks like
this is caused by the calls to XStoreColor in
OverlayRaster::color_init (OverlayUnidraw/ovraster.c).  I assume it is
related
to a change in how XAllocColorCells or XFreeColors is implemented.
Perhaps
avoiding the call to XFreeColors (wasting a colormap entry) would do the
trick.
Have you seen this on any machine you operate?