apt-get lists

  Whenever you do a apt-get update there is a new list
generated, I assume, made in the /var/lib/apt/lists
folder. After awhile this folder can grow to be kinda
large. Would there be a problem deleting some of these
old lists? Currently on my laptop there are 35 lists
in that folder and I know that there are more then 35
on my desktop.
  I think that if possible it would be nice to have
some sort of script/program that would limit that
folder to a reasonable number of lists. Just a idea.
Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks
Don