Re: Installation scripts - a request

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001, Johann Spies wrote:
> I am not sure whether this is the correct list for such a request but I
> put it anyway.
>
> I have had the privilege to help more than 20 people from a windows
> background to install Debian Linux in the past two weeks.  We found the
> debian installation procedure not very easy but workable.

Hi Johann,

Glad that you're helping make people aware of Debian.  It's really
best for people transitioning from Windows to Linux to have someone
such as yourself to guide them through the process.  That's why
InstallFests (at Linux User Groups (LUG's)) are good ideas, IMHO.

> A request of many of the people was that there should be more
> opportunity to go back to a previous screen during the installation
> scripts - especially while configuring packages like xserver-xfree86.
> If a mistake was made during the installation process e.g. while
> selecting packages, it is not always possible to go back and rectify the
> situation.  For a newbie this is a serious problem.

While it's not a direct answer to your problem, as it does not enable
one to go back and forth between screens in the install process, if
you're not aware of it, 'dpkg-reconfigure' is a very nice addition to
the Debian packaging tools, essentially allowing you to re-answer all
of debconf's install question (and furthermore, allows you to specify
the priority of questions you want to reanswer.)  This program is part
of the debconf package.

See:

'apt-cache show debconf'

or