Re: how to build woody drivers-1 to -4 floppies?

High,

On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, Dragos wrote:

> hello,
> I have an unusual setup so I built my kernel to substitute the kernel from
> the floppies (it has loop device, fat, etc... built in; -from the
> documentation-); that part is ok.
> however, it says to replace modules.tgz from drivers floppies;
> how do I do that? just copy modules.tgz to a vfat floppy?
> it isn't very clear...

I have had troubles with this too. Reading the drivers-1.bin from the
original distribution (less drivers-1.bin) says:
Floppy split 0.1

at the beginning. This means that the floppy does not contain a
filesystem, but just raw data. I have never found out which program is
used to split a file to floppy's. Perhaps someone on this lists know...

As an alternative to this I always did the following:
- put the harddisk in another computer, partition it and format the disk
with an ext2 fs.
- copy the drivers.tgz and the base2_2.tgz (hmm, there used to be a base
file for Potato) to the new disk
- put the harddisk back into the new computer and boot up the installation
proces with floppys
- when it asks for the drivers.tgz, point it to the mounted partition
note: you are able to have command line acces on the second console

Succes,
Sebastiaan

--
  NT is the OS of the future. The main engine is the 16-bit Subsystem
  (also called MS-DOS Subsystem). Above that, there is the windoze 95/98