Re: X starts on boot--no exit--shades of J P Sartre

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001 23:05:35 -0500, Carl Fink wrote:

>On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 09:51:53PM -0600, Gary Turner wrote:
>
>> I can stop X, but just as fast as it dies, a new login screen appears.
>
>I suspect that Ctrl-Alt-Fx will work.  That's the keystroke from
>within X.

Aha! yes indeed.

>> Now if someone will tell me what to look at and what to change so that X
>> must be explicitly started, I will be much obliged.
>
>You probably have one of kdm, xdm, gdm installed.  Uninstall (or
>kill) it and you should be free.

Interestingly enough, I had xdm running twice. PIDs 241 and 250.
Killing one just wasn't enough.

The question remains, where is the init file that starts this on boot?
I've checked /etc/inittab which is a boot script, but not the right one.
>--
>Carl Fink               carlf@dm.net
>I-Con's Science and Technology Programming
><http://www.iconsf.org/>

Thanks for pulling me out of the mud, Carl.  On the side, did you ever
make it to Fink, TX for the Fink Family Reunion?  Haven't heard about it
lately, but it used to draw over 10,000 folks each year from all over
the world.

gt
Yes I fear I am living beyond my mental means--Nash