Re: kdm

On 10 Dec 2001, Goeman Stefan wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> After upgrading to woody (from potato) I get some unexpected behaviour from
> kdm.
>
> 1) In the kdm window, I see a lot of users listed, basically all users are
> listed. I only
> want root and myself listed there (as it was when I was running potato).
> 2) For the session types, I only get "default" and "failsave". Where is the
> rest (like kde2, ...)?

Or like wmaker?

> I tried to edit the file kdmrc in /etc/kde2/kdm/ , but that did not work.
>
> Any ideas??

Hi Goeman Stefan,

i got the exact same situation when upgrading my home machine over the
weekend. I am glad someone else did.My home machine has

ii  kdm            2.2.1.0-6      The K Desktop Manager

The funny thing is that I upgraded another box to testing from potato
earlier this week and kdm for that machine works just fine. Even more
strange, both these machines have the same version of kdm (that above).

To make matters even stranger, my home machine does not appear to have a
version of kdmrc in /etc/kde2/kdm, though the other machine I have does.
On my home machine, kdmrc in '/etc/kde2/kdm is symlinked to a nonexistent
file

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           16 Jul  7 17:01 kdmrc ->
../../kde2/kdmrc

Don't understand how these two different situations arose with the same
package, though. Did anyone else experience any of this?

In any case, I should file a bug report. If you want to file a bug report,
be my guest. If you do, let me know, though, so we don't file duplicate
bug reports. Actually, filing duplicate bug reports might not be a bad
idea so that they realise there is a real problem. In any case, is it Ok
if I mention your name and email in my bug report?

In answer to your questions.

1) I don't know how to add extra sessions to the kdm login, but at least
on my box default corresponds to kde2. Since that is all I ever use, I
don't really mind too much if nothing else comes up, though obviously this
is not a terribly satisfactory state of affairs.

2) I think you can change the list of users shown using the KDE control
center. You'll have to be logged in as root to do this.

                                   Sincerely, Faheem Mitha.