Re: apt-get connect takes forever, download instantaneous

* This one time, at band camp, Brian Nelson said:

> Try using a local mirror.
>
> http://www.debian.org/misc/README.mirrors

Can I also suggest looking at 'netselect-apt' (package netselect and
only in woody+ IIRC)

If you change to /etc/apt, backup sources.list, then try 'netselect-apt
[unstable|testing|stable}'.

Netselect will then download the mirrors list and work out which one is
the fastest from you current location and give you a sources.list for
it.

Also works for different arch's (worked on my sparc, i386 and arm
machines).

HTH

Greeno
--
Greeno <tgreen@bandcamp.tv>
GnuPG Key :  1024D/B5657C8B

Imagine working in a secure environment and finding the string
_NSAKEY in the OS binaries without a good explanation
    -Alan Cox 04/05/2001