Problems upgrading kernel

I have been trying to upgrade both a woody box and a sid box to a 2.4 kernel
(2.4.16 and 2.4.14 respectively). I use make-kpkg and everthing seems to
work fine but I don't have a network when I reboot into the new kernel. It
looks like the nic module loads but I cannot ping anything. If I go back to
the old kernel still installed on the system I have network connectivity
just fine. I am using dhcp in both places so maybe that is an issue. I am
installing it like this:

Running dslelect and getting kernel-source-2.4.14.tar.bz2
bunzip2 and untar the source
menuconfig
make-kpkg -rev cusotm.1 kernel_image
dpkg --install newkernelimage.deb

Then I reboot. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
WP