Re: missing ldconfig (broken newton!!!)

On Sun, 9 Dec 2001 18:06:25 -0000, "omphe" <omphe@keiko.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Using dpkg, I attempted an install of libc6 2.2.4-7 from my original library, which was originally  libc6 2.2.1-1.  Upon installation I received all manner of related error messages when trying to install further packages, namely a conspicuous missing "atexit".  Research  informed me that this was not uncommon. Reinstalling libc6 2.2.1-1 seemed a good idea.

Well, sure you listed the version correctly?  I have 2.2.4-7 installed and there is no
missing "atexit" function...

> Using dpkg to  install original package failed, owing to missing ldconfig.  My brilliant new toy is now broken.  Throw a newbie a bone........

ldconfig should be in libc6_2.2.4-7*.deb.  Perhaps, the package never got properly
installed?  Anyway, if you can:

$ cd /tmp
$ ar -x /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.2.4-7*deb
$ tar -xvzf data.tar.gz ./sbin/ldconfig
$ cp ./sbin/ldconfig /sbin

(The leading "."'s are important!).

It used to be another package provided ldconfig (ld.so, I believe...).

> Which package do I install to fix my ldconfig?
> Should I do an install of libc6 from sources?  Wouldn't I run into the same problem when I finalized with an ldconfig?
> Surely this is repairable without a reinstall?

Should be repairable.  You do have a boot disk?  Note, if going backwards, you
may need to reinstall older "ldso" (??).

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>