missing ldconfig (broken newton!!!)

On a Dell Dimension 4100 , Pentium III,  800mhz,
Running Progeny Debian ("Newton" kernel 2.2.18)

Using dpkg, I attempted an install of libc6 2.2.4-7 from my original library, which was originally  libc6 2.2.1-1.  Upon installation I received all manner of related error messages when trying to install further packages, namely a conspicuous missing "atexit".  Research  informed me that this was not uncommon. Reinstalling libc6 2.2.1-1 seemed a good idea.

Using dpkg to  install original package failed, owing to missing ldconfig.  My brilliant new toy is now broken.  Throw a newbie a bone........

Which package do I install to fix my ldconfig?
Should I do an install of libc6 from sources?  Wouldn't I run into the same problem when I finalized with an ldconfig?
Surely this is repairable without a reinstall?

This all started trying to install Ogle DVD software.   As much as I am growing to love the command line, this isn't the direction I was heading.

Thanks for all help

Branden Faulls

ps-Forced to post this from windows ............oh the shame!!!!!!!!!!!!